Oneway East

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Dailyness

So it's back to my routine here. This trip has been less about traveling and more about living someplace else for a while. Although I'm leaving back to the states shortly, it's even tended towards something more like a "real" life. I do some work every day on one of my various projects, I have dinner with my friends, we hang out for a while, maybe watch a movie, something like that, occasionally go for a night out on the lash. It's become strangely normal. The people here are the people I think of as my friends, with all of them at home being the ones who are sort of on hold. Not a bad thing to have friends all over.

Lots of little projects on the cooker:

The woman at the travel agency asked me to think about designing a t-shirt for her company.

There's an online travel mag who's interested in an article for longer-term expats in Laos.

The Myanmar photo project never got finished; that's still on the list

The Lao book, of course, is the longest term one. Working with some of the material I have, I've got some at home, I'll have to go back later. And I have a bunch of leads in the US at this point as well. No shortage of things to do there.

Photos photos photos. But this one wanes the more familiar a place gets. Don't bring my camera around with me that much. That's why it's time to move again.

Drawing a lot, mostly t-shirt designs. Someday I'll have to decide if I want to actually try to make a go of it. Location-specific t-shirts and accessories. Mostly consisting of a cool graphic. So spending some time with Photoshop and Illustrator.

These on top of the huge heap of in-progress projects I've gathered over the years.

So other than the lack of financial sustainability to this life I've got out here, it's a life. Surprisingly normal. New kinds of familiarity that I've settled into. Oddly enough, going back to New York is the Big Exciting Thing on the immediate horizon, the big change.

It hasn't quite gotten to the point where the familiarity becoomes a curse, the way it was before I left. The gray dailyness that just goes on and on.

And I'm almost fully healed up from that last run-in with the bandits. Our bodies are wonderfully resilient. Only sign after a while are a few marks, just another story that you tell when some one sees you with your shirt off and says, "what's this from?"

But I guess some of us have more marks than others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter