Oneway East

Monday, August 14, 2006

Story

The afternoon was at least as productive. Chatting with a friend of mine who grew up in Saravane town in the south, I learned the fantastic story of how Saravane was a boomtown like Deadwood back in the sixties. There was a group of American officers and advisors stationed there, recruiting and hiring a local ethnic mnnority to be spotters and spies for them. These men made a huge amount of money. They'd come back to town after their short tours in the forest and go absolutely hog-wild. Undreamed-of sums of money being thrown about like confetti.

I can't tell you all the fun details because the book won't be a surprise then.

I don't blog on the shitty days where I feel like I'm not getting anywhere, the days when I can't summon the gumption to just go talk to people, the days I can't make it happen or the days I feel like I don't have any ideas. But I'm making progress. I'm getting stuff done. It's going to take some time.

My god I wish I had brought a digital voice recorder!! My hand was about to fall off I was writing so fast. And you miss things when you're writing as fast as you're listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter