Oneway East

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Crises

There's been a lot of minor little incidents lately. I've found myself in the crisis manager/paramedic mode a bit. There was the time the nice french girl gave me quite a fright late one night. We were at somebody's place in Haad Rin, we'd been drinking and dancing and carrying on and really having a splendid romantic evening. Apparently the poor lass hadn't eaten much all day, because she stood up to visit the bathroom and I saw her take three steps and then slump backwards and crack her head off the tiled wall. I took care of it, checking for head and neck injuries, treating her for shock, getting her to come around and talk to me. Ididn't know what the hell had happened at first, but she looked really bad at first. Reminded me of an overdose I saw one time a long time ago. Her lips were almost completely white and her skin was green. It all worked out in the end, got her home, checked on her a few hours later just in case of concussion, but whew.
And then there was the young Indian/English girl who mistook a lily pad pond for solid ground with slightly awkward results. Her hand slapped down onto a rock and gashed the meaty part of her thumb. She doesn't have my long and checkered history of self-injury, so she started to flip out. The hardest part of it was getting her to calm down and relax and realize it's not such a big deal. And keeping all the other people from fussing and clucking and volunteering all kinds of irrelevant folk wisdom. LAcerations are very simple. There is one set of steps to take, and you take them. It's not a matter of opinion. Whisked her off on my bike to the hospital, got her stitched up, and then back to the jungle.
And the lovely French girl's ambivalent has caused me some heartburn since the day after her little crisis. Just can't help liking some people, it is rare, hadn't happened yet in Thailand, but sometimes you think it'd be much simpler if it never happened at all.

When I go to BKK next week I promise to upload lots of pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter