Oneway East

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Black

I went to my last of the Moon parties, the "Black Moon". We've all agreed it's time to chill out for a while, less drinking, dancing and debauchery. My friends have told me that they usually don't go out anywhere near as much as they have in the last three weeks while I've been here. Hmm. Do I have anything to do with that? Time to take it down a notch. And time to get off this island. It's hard to walk away though, now that I've developed a crew of friends. I have to keep moving very soon, but I can understand why some choose to stay when they find a useful thing to do. That's the kicker for me. Not enough to do.

Odd event at the Black Moon was when TJ was sitting with one of her Thai friends, some French guy said something rude about Thais. That got her back up a bit to start, and then when it turned out he's been on this Island for eight years and doesn't speak any Thai, and thinks Thais are stupid, she went completely ballistic. That really is so colonial of him. He got at least what he deserved, I think. She knocked him flat of his ass and sent him running and John and I had to hold her back. She's a tough cookie.

Things didn't go so well with the French girl. I was rather mistaken about her, it appears. Advice I've received from some experienced traveler friends is that out here is really not a safe place to let your guard down like I did. No one's looking for much, nor are they open to it much. Just looking for good times. John put it like this:"She's not a slag, Tom. She's just like a guy." I guess that makes me more like a girl. I was unprepared. Maybe Rumsfeld and Cheney were right: Don't trust the French.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter